Thursday, January 12, 2006

Tonight I almost had a heart attack. Emma and I were eating dinner at her little table in the living room. It was dark outside. The doorbell rang. Our porch light is burnt out so if I opened the door I would have only seen darkness. Especially because Steve is still out of town, I was especially freaked that some unknown person was ringing our doorbell after dark. I grabbed Emma and carried her into the hall. Whoever was standing on our porch continued to ring our bell, like, five more times. The dogs were going crazy and suddenly I was sure I heard our garage door opening. I didn't know if I should hide in the closet or call 911. My cell phone was back out in the living room so I chose the closet. When I didn't hear the doorbell anymore, I peeked out my bedroom window. And, boy, did I feel stupid.

Our neighbor told me earlier this week that she was going to make some homemade cinnamon rolls and bring us some. I saw her at the house across the street, handing a plate to the woman who lives there. I hope she comes by again tomorrow (during daylight!) because I would hate to miss out on those cinnamon rolls!

Oh, yeah, and apparently my mind was working overtime because, when I checked, our garage door was still very much closed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Honey, that's so funny. I think you are very brave to not be scared being home alone so many nights.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel silly. Being home alone is very scary. Sometimes when I am home alone, I get so imaginative that I think aliens or ghosts are staring at me. Whenever my parents come home, they complain because all the lights are on in the house. I would have hidden in the closet as well.

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katie said...

i'm glad to know i'm not the only woman in this family to be scared of the dark! :) it's a catch-22 though! when ppl knock on my door it's obvious someone's home and so they keep knocking. which scares me b/c they just wont go away!

is anyone else here freaked out when the phone rings when they're home alone at nite? to me that's almost as bad as a knock on the door. :)