Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I got worms! Woo-hoo! This morning Emma and I went to a local worm farm and purchased approximately 1000 Red Wigglers. The guy who owns the farm talked to us for a long time and showed us his many different worm beds. He said there are over four million worms in his farm! It was a really interesting experience. The point of owning the worms is that they will eat our trash and poop it out in the form of nutrient-rich compost. It sounds like an ideal way to cut down on food waste and enrich our garden soil at the same time. Now I just have to worry about keeping them alive! More on worm composting can be found here.

Tonight we are going to a Holistic Moms meeting about organic gardening. I've also been fervently reading The Vegetable Gardener's Bible, which has tons of really great information. I was totally doing it all wrong last year! This year is going to be SO much better! (I hope, I hope!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often thought of doing that in the past but now we just have a compost pile and there are many worms there. I'll be interested in seeing how that goes.

David said...

Now you live in an infested house. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

When I first read this, I thought you meant like worms you get in your body. It scared me a little, and I was going to suggest that you send Emma to Prague for her own safety.