Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Goods:
Milk - Cow's milk would probably be better, but I didn't have any on hand so I made do with the soy.
Flavor syrup - I went to Starbuck's to make sure they really don't sell their pumpkin spice syrup. They don't, so I bought vanilla instead.
Espresso maker - delivered on Friday! Yay!
illy espresso - This is supposedly the best kind to use with my particular espresso maker. It's more expensive than what I would usually buy, but if I'm going to do this I want to do it right.
Milk frother - bought from Williams-Sonoma this week because it did not qualify for Super Saver Shipping, and I wasn't going to pay $7 to have it shipped.

The Verdict:Meh.

My first attempt wasn't the best. You're not supposed to heat the water over 175 degrees or the espresso will be bitter, and my meat thermometer recently broke, so I had no way to measure the temperature of the water. I completely underestimated the water temperature, and also failed to sufficiently warm the milk, so my first latte was lukewarm at best. I also wasn't sure about the ratio of milk to espresso to syrup, and I think I guessed poorly on those as well. After drinking this tepid concoction, I was thinking that possibly this whole latte making idea was a lot more trouble than it was worth.

I attempted another one later yesterday afternoon, and it was much better.This morning, I attempted a third time. Wow. It was good. Really, really good. It tasted just like the real thing and was perfectly hot and absolutely delicious. Definitely worth the trouble. I am so looking forward to tomorrow morning so I can have another one!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy, I glad you had a good latte. My dh uses coffee beans and grinds them on the expresso setting. I've never had their vanilla lattes, I'll have to try one.

Shawn said...

mmm that looks so yummy!! Check the paper there was a starbucks coupon for a free latte!! :)

Mary Beth said...

I've been waiting for this post! I'm excited. Please keep us posted on how you continue to like it (or not). Is the espresso machine easy to use and clean? I think both your lattes look delicious. I think it's perfectly natural that there's a learning curve, so they should keep getting better.

Anonymous said...

Am I the only reader who is more interested in how well the shower cleaner works than the expresso maker?!
Mom

Chick in the Czech said...

Haha...I think probably so. Coffee is so tasty!