I am having serious quilt issues. Way back in October, I started a twin size quilt for Noah. I finally finished the top awhile back, but I didn't have the fabric I needed for the backing or the binding. I decided to buy more of one of the prints I used in the quilt for the binding, and going off the small piece I had left of that fabric, I bought all the fabric I needed to make a pieced backing to match. Well, apparently that particular fabric is nowhere to be found anymore. I tried three local quilt shops, looked everywhere online, and even posted ISO threads on a couple sewing forums. Nothing. So now I have all this backing fabric and nothing that matches it, and I keep thinking and thinking about what I can do for the binding. I don't have enough of any of the fabrics I used to make it, and I can't seem to find any more of the ones I think would look okay. Arrgh.
After mulling that over for way too much time and coming up with nothing, I decided to start on a baby quilt for the new baby. I finished the main part of the top, then went to add a couple strips of border around the edges. For the life of me, I couldn't get the borders to lay flat. I soon realized that I had cut the pieces on the bias incorrectly, making them too stretchy. Gah! I detest seam ripping, and a perfectionist I am not, so I generally do not re-do anything unless it's pretty awful to begin with. Unfortunately, this fell under that category, so I got out my seam ripper and removed the borders. After a bit of online searching, I dug up a few tricks to help me apply the borders to a too-stretchy middle, and last night I redid the borders at least somewhat successfully. I was going to add two - a white and a green - but decided to just leave the white one because adding another would probably exacerbate the problem. I should have gone to bed then but I was pleased with my progress so I decided to stay up and sew the whole thing together. I squared up my top, batting, and backing, then pinned them together and sewed all around the edge. As soon as I finished that, I realized I had put the batting in the middle, which means that when I turned it right side out, the batting is on the outside where it obviously does not belong. Ack! I was so frustrated at this point but I was determined to get it done before I went to bed so I sat there and ripped out the entire edge seam. Then, I lined them up again, pinned them, and sewed it all together again - only to find out that I did the exact same thing with the batting! AAAAAHHHHHH! Someone should probably make sure I don't do any driving or operating of heavy machinery because obviously I have lost the ability to THINK! By that point I was so tired and annoyed that I stuffed the whole quilt in the trash can and stormed off to bed. (I had just taken out the trash so I knew it was only a clean, empty trash bag in there otherwise I probably wouldn't have thrown it away. Still, the act of shoving it in the trash can was oddly satisfying. I did get it out of the trash this morning, though.) At some point I hope to actually finish this quilt, but it may be awhile because I probably need to just step away from it and take deep breaths for awhile.
Luckily, even though I may not be accomplishing much, there are others around here who are. I don't think I've mentioned on here yet that a little somebody learned to walk!