Sunday, November 09, 2008

I'm happy to report that - over a year after starting it - I finally finished Noah's quilt! I had issues with not being able to find a suitable fabric for the binding so that put the whole project on hold for a long time, but a few weeks ago I finally found something that I liked.For this quilt, I chose random fabrics that I thought he would find interesting for one reason or another. I remember looking at quilts when I was a kid and being so interested in the different fabrics, so I hope Noah feels the same way about this. I wanted to do stippling for the quilting so I purchased a darning foot for my machine. I should have gotten one long ago because free motion quilting is so much fun! It took much longer than I anticipated and used almost three entire spools of thread, but was very worth it. I love how it turned out!I just used a blue sheet for the backing and I was a little worried that, because I had never done any stippling before, it wouldn't look good and would really show up against the blue. It does stand out a lot, but I think it looks okay. (And for the life of me, I can't get this picture to turn the right way.)
I was trying to take pictures of the finished quilt today, but the kids kept messing with it so I couldn't really get a good shot of the whole thing. At one point Noah ran up and grabbed the folded quilt off the couch.He immediately threw it on the floor and flopped down on top of it. I guess he likes it!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most boys are fascinated with fabrics. It looks very nice.

Pop

Anonymous said...

That's a really cool thing for him to have. It looks great.

Lisa said...

That looks great, looks like he likes it too. Every time I use up a scrap of fabric I think... but this would make a great quilt block (like yours)!

Christina said...

Great job!! I am impressed that you have time to sew!! I have a hard time finding time to shower!! :) You kiddos are growing up so fast! How is that sweet baby of yours?

Chick in the Czech said...

Awwwww...the quilt looks great and can you just send Noah home with David for a few months? He looks sooo cuddly!

Mary Beth said...

Oh my gosh, Sarah, that is gorgeous! Love love love it! What is stippling? How do you do it? It looks great, but I've never heard of it.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that's beautiful! He will treasure it for years to come!

Mary - stipling is the way she sewed the quilt with the white thread to make those swirly patterns.

Sue said...

I think the quilt turned out wonderfully well. The blue does show up the stitching but it looks great. It seems Noah loves it too which is how it is meant to be.

Shawn said...

That is beautiful Sarah!!!!

Hamons said...

Beautiful quilt! I remember looking at all the different designs on quilts, too. I bet Noah will enjoy it for many years!

Deanna said...

That's great! I have a baby quilt that I remember looking at all the different fabrics and details - what a great idea to make Noah's that way! I had forgotten how much I used to just look at that quilt!

It looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I have fond memories of enjoying quilt patches when I was a little girl, too. I felt nostalgic about another childhood pleasure when I read about it in a La Leche League newsletter this morning--playing with my mom's button collection while she sewed. It made me hope that the sewing moms who read your blog still have button boxes and that kids still like to admire and sort buttons!
Mom

Allison said...

That is a beautiful quilt, Sarah!
I love the quilting and it looks like Noah loves it too.

My mom had a quilt that had scraps from stuff she made us and it was always fun looking at that quilt.It was like reading a book.

Mamaperreca said...

I love the quilt sarah. I tried stippling on a quilt. I got about 1 corner done and it looks crappy. Yours looks nice. I need to figure out my pattern/method better I guess. :)