Monday, March 08, 2010
I finished a quilt! Yay! I'm not exactly sure when I started this one, but I'm pretty sure it was over a year ago. It's called a ragged squares quilt, and Crazy Mom Quilts posted a tutorial for it awhile ago. Every bit of the fabric I used on the quilt top came from my wonderful - and sadly, rarely used - fabric stash.Sewing the top for this quilt was easy and fun, but the quilting of it was not. It took me forever and was very tedious. I had to quilt three squares in each block, and for every single square I had to rotate the entire quilt. That means I had to shove the whole bulk of the quilt through the middle of the sewing machine 154 times. All that fabric stuffing got very tedious very quickly, which was the main reason that this quilt took me so long.The backing of this quilt is my favorite part. A long time ago I bought some sheets at Target that were pretty ugly, but were on clearance for dirt cheap. I only ever put them on the bed when all our other sheets were in the wash. It so happens that those sheets were on the bed the day Noah was born. Even though I still thought they were ugly, after that I started using them more because they were a happy reminder of his birth. The elastic eventually wore out on the fitted sheet, but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of them so they just sat there. I was trying to figure out what backing to use for this quilt and I remembered those sheets, taking up space in the closet. Perfect. They're an exact match for the front of the quilt. Even more importantly, I love that the back of this quilt is made up of those cheap, ugly sheets onto which my sweet baby boy was born.