Monday, March 01, 2010

One of the things we gave Emma for her birthday was a beeswax candle rolling kit. I like burning candles and she likes to make things so I thought it was an ideal present. We got the kit out over the weekend and I am so pleased with it! She worked diligently for over an hour and ended up with nine lovely candles.
I think generally candles are expensive for the amount of hours they burn, but this seemed to me like a great deal. I wasn't sure how good the quality of the candles would be, but they burn really slowly. We've been enjoying burning the ones she made so far, and there is still enough beeswax left for at least nine more!In an amusing but completely unrelated side story, on Friday afternoon I was looking through the papers Emma brought home from school. When her class is writing words that they don't know how to spell, Emma's teacher encourages them to sound it out and guess on the spelling. I love Emma's spelling of "nails" so much that I hung this one on the fridge so that I can look at it and smile all day long.

7 comments:

Chick in the Czech said...

Haha about nails. That's so hilarious. Do the candles smell? I guess I've never really smelled beeswax, and that's my main attraction to candles.

Mom said...

How pretty those candles are!
You know, good spelling is a trait of some of our family members!

Hamons said...

What a fun birthday gift! Emma's candles are very pretty. I love, love, love the process of spelling for children. I'd be the parent saving the 'nails,' too.

Chick in the Czech said...

Kathy, your streak of having good spellers in your family will probably end with our children. My mom called me Ella the Bad Speller (it was in a children's book) because I am such a horrible speller!!!

Sarah said...

Abbie, they don't have a scent - just a warm, cheerful glow!

Unknown said...

Looks like a great gift for Paw Paw. On another note, some in our family learned to spell at an early age. I think Peter was only 14 when he wrote that David is a looser.

Allison said...

What a great present, it looks like Emma had a fun time making the candles. I love the nails spelling too.