Monday, March 29, 2010

Today Noah turns three years old. He has been looking forward to this for a few months now, and has been jubilantly telling random strangers all over town that he is going to have a Thomas cake for his birthday.

We celebrated his birthday last night at home with just our family and one of Emma's friends, whom Noah adores and wanted to invite. I made him this cake, which I thought ended up being pretty darn cute. When I was making it, I discovered I was one egg short so - after a quick search online - I threw in a banana to make up for the missing egg. After her first bite, Emma's friend exclaimed, "This cake tastes like banana bread!" We all agreed it was a very banana-y chocolate cake, but luckily bananas and chocolate go well together so it was still delicious.Noah was so excited about the reveal of his long-awaited Thomas cake that he apparently couldn't stand the suspense while Steve was carrying it over to the table.When he uncovered his eyes, he clasped his hands together in joyful anticipation. I just love this look on his face!He didn't even wait for us to finish singing before he leaned forward and blew out his candles. And really, considering how excited he was, I'm surprised he waited as long as he did.The only unfortunate part about the evening was that afterward I realized that I forgot to get out his birthday crown. It's okay though, because I think he was happy enough to wear his new Royals hat.Happy birthday, my sweet boy.

10 comments:

Katie said...

Happy Birthday to Noah! :) What a cute boy! I LOVE that picture of him with his hands clasped...those are pictures of pure excitement & joy.

Great job on the cake too!! Your 4-H cake decorating skills are shining through!

David said...

I think the bowtie is an excellent addition to any wardrobe.

Christina said...

Great Job on the cake! Amazing! He is the happiest little boy! Everytime I see a pic of him, I can't help but smile! Aren't little boys so great!?!? Happy Birthday Noah!!!

Hamons said...

He looks sooo jubilant! That is a cake to remember, for sure. Wow. Happy Birthday Noah!

Chick in the Czech said...

Happy late Birthday, Noah! He is so cute.

Grandma Bert said...

Looks like Noah had a wonderful birtday. The looks on his face are just pure excitement. Wonderful job on the cake Sarah.

Mom said...

Oh, my gosh! Noah looks so adorable, including his dressy outfit. His expressions are delightful. Plus, your cake is amazing. So are your photography skills. If I can figure out how to do it, I will send this to Donna Wilmes (the 4-H cake decorating teacher), and I'm sure it will make her happy!

Donna Wilmes said...

Sarah, what an awesome looking cake. It was certainly a hit by the look on Noah's face. I always knew you were a 'cake decorater' at heart and you can see that you put a lot of LOVE into this cake. I am so proud to be able to say that I helped teach you this wonderful skill. Thanks for making me look so good.

Allison said...

Happy late birthday Noah! What a cute cake!! Looks like he had a lot of fun!

Mary Beth said...

Oh, what a sweet boy! He looks simply adorable. Your cake turned out fantastic--what a loving thing for you to do for him. Chocolate-banana sounds yummy.