Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Awhile back we noticed that a bag of birdseed in our garage had been torn into and strewn around the workbench. We figured there might be a mouse or two living out there, but we said they were probably just trying to get in from the cold so we let it go. Two times after that, I actually saw a mouse in the garage, and briefly searched online for humane mouse trap options. Really though, we don't much care if there is a mouse or two in the garage, so I forgot about catching them and setting them free somewhere else, and we left them alone.

This morning I was changing Allie's diaper in the living room and as I glanced over to the kitchen, I happened to see a mouse run along the length of the wall and then disappear behind the refrigerator. Oh. No. Mice in the garage is one thing, but mice in my kitchen is another thing entirely and I am NOT cool with that. We tried to be nice and let them be, but now they have overstepped their boundaries.

Right after I saw the mouse, we left to take Emma to school, and then came back here just so I could run inside and grab enough diapers to last us through the day. We left again, and since the thought of hanging out in a house with mice totally creeps me out, we didn't come back home until about 8:30 tonight. We bounced from one place to another all day and did whatever we could find to do just to avoid coming home. One of the things we did was buy mouse traps - the killing kind. I am feeling very bad about this. Still, I do need to go in my kitchen at some point, so I'm just trying not to think about it. Steve is going to take care of all the mouse trapping duties so I can continue to not think about it. Except that I obviously am.

I have not ever taken a picture of a mouse so I searched Google images to try to find a picture of a mouse for this post. I didn't want to get anything gross, so I searched for "mouse cute", which was clearly a mistake. What is wrong with me, wanting to kill those sweet, cute, innocent looking little furballs? You'll notice that there is no picture in this post because I can't put up a darling picture of a wittle bitty mouse and then come here and announce that I'm going to kill one (or more) without seeming like some kind of ogre.

And by the way, I am so thirsty right now. I am positively dying from thirst, but I can't make myself go in the kitchen and get a stupid drink. I've got issues.

7 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Ugh! Just make sure it kills it all the way, ya know? Good luck.

Allison said...

Hopefully you will be mouse-free soon.
I have some cats you can borrow!

Anonymous said...

They're cute until they are in your house. Then they are freaky. We get them sometimes. The round traps are the best -- they are snap traps, but the mouse has to go inside before it snaps. Much less messy. Blah.

Nicki said...

you do have issues-at least it's not a toad in the house...

Tresa said...

There are no "good" mouse traps. If you catch them live, they wake you up making noise, and then you have the matter of dealing with a live, frantic mouse. If you get killers, sometimes they don't kill them all the way at first, so it can be gory when you find them. Poison isn't an option with kids and animals....

Which leaves the one and only good reason for having a cat. But with my luck, I'd get a fat, lazy, vegetarian one.

Hamons said...

Ooooh, a mouse! We had one in our garage once and Jeff assured me they didn't understand that I didn't mind one or two seeking refuge in the garage, but that they were not allowed in the house. I can't believe you managed to stay out of the house all day long! We had a chipmunk in our garage once, too. How'd you like to see that scurrying across the kitchen? :lol:

Christina said...

Oh ick! You most definitely do NOT have issues! I an creeped out just reading your post! I wouldn't go in the kitchen either! Hopefully you can get those little vermin outta your house soon!! Good Luck!