Thursday, March 22, 2012

I have fond memories of blowing out eggs and making an Easter egg tree when I was a kid, so this year I decided that would be a fun thing to do with my own kiddos. We dyed eighteen eggs, even though I didn't think our tree would need that many eggs, just because the kids were having fun with the dying process. While the eggs were drying, we went on a walk to search for branches. Luckily, there had been a storm with a lot of wind the night before, so there was no shortage of branches laying around the neighborhood.

Next, Emma and I blew out the insides of the eggs, and it was at this point we realized it had been a good idea to make eighteen eggs. There was a bit of a learning curve, and we ended up breaking the first four eggs while trying to poke holes in the end. We eventually got the hang of it and were able to finish up the project without too many more egg fatalities. Our next problem came when we were rinsing all the egg goo off of the eggs - the colors that had been so bright and varied rinsed off with the goo, leaving nothing but light pastels. The greens turned to light blue, the reds and purples were pink, and the yellows were basically white. We considered dying them again, but opted not to, mostly because I didn't want to go to the store and buy another dying kit.We glued ribbon onto the eggs and hung them on our branches. I also printed out some Easter subway art to set on the table. It looked cute, but something was still missing, so I found some fabric in the basement and sewed a quick and easy (and very crooked) table runner. Perfect.
Our Easter table is complete, and I love that, whenever I am in the kitchen, I can glance over to the dining room for a little Easter cheer.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Your egg tree looks sweet, and now your kids will have happy memories of making it. Maybe you can save the eggs for next year.

I really like your Easter display, although it seems like you are about four and a half Rubbermaid containers short for Easter decorations in your new house!

Laura said...

Very cute display! Time to get down the Easter decs, huh? We've had the same color change issue, but still enjoy getting out the blown eggs from the past years.

Allison said...

Cute, I love the tree, Amy has been wanting to color eggs for Easter and I've been telling her we have to wait. We might have to give this a try.

Grandma Bert said...

It all looks very cute and Eastery.I have mine up. It makes me happy to look at them too.HH