Friday, October 21, 2005

I'm pretty sure I have temporomandibular joint syndrome. Meaning, in case you're not familiar with that term, that I have jaw issues. For the past few months, my right jaw has been pretty much sore all the time, and I also have some popping and cracking going on. Lovely, huh? I mentioned it to my dentist last time I was there, and he said my bottom molars on that side look like they've been worn down due to excessive grinding. Weird. He suggested that maybe at my next appointment, which is in March, they make me a bite gueard to wear while I sleep. Now I'm thinking I'm going to go back for that sooner, to avoid more damage to the hinge and gliding joint in my jaw, as well as my teeth. Plus it's just getting on my nerves. I just looked up teeth grinding in my wonderful Smart Medicine for Healthier Living book. The fancy word for teeth grinding is bruxism, and the resulting condition is that long term I wrote at the beginning of my post. The book describes a bunch of symptoms, most of which I have. There are various helpful herbs and supplements listed, and I think I will give some of them a try.

The real question is, why am I grinding my teeth all of a sudden? Am I stressed about something and don't realize it? The only thing I can think of that really bothers me is Steve working so much, but as far as stressful times in my life go, this is not one of them. Hmmm...it's a mystery, I guess.

Do you ever have days when you eat and eat and never feel full? Yesterday, I ate nonstop all day long and today I am crazy hungry again. Last night I made four pumpkin pies (my version, which is really just a super healthy and yummy snack) to give me something healthy on which to snack. Two are already gone! Eek!!

Steve will be home in five hours!! Woo-hoo!!

No comments: